Water & Sewer Disconnection Process
Water & Sewer Billing – Service Disconnection Process
If water and sewer balances aren’t paid in full after three billing cycles, accounts will be processed for disconnection. If an account is disconnected for non-payment, a new deposit, a processing fee, as well as the past due balance will need to be collected before service can be restored. If an account is disconnected multiple times, the required deposit will increase.
Payment arrangements can be made to avoid disconnection, but must be in place before accounts are locked—please contact the Utility Billing department for more information at (707) 441-4267 or email Utility Billing to set up payment arrangements, or come to the Utility Billing desk at City Hall, 531 K Street, Monday through Friday, 9 am to 4 pm.
Service Disconnection Process:
- First billing cycle: bills are issued and due in full by the due date on the bill, about 4 weeks from the bill printing date.
- Second billing cycle: if the previous balance is not paid in full before the second billing cycle will be subject to a late penalty. The bill will show that past due balance as Due Immediately.
- Third billing cycle: If the previous balance is not paid in full before the third billing cycle, the balance will be subject to a late penalty, and the two bills past due will show as Due Immediately. There are now two past due bills, and the account is approaching shut-off for nonpayment.
- Late notice: A letter will be mailed stating that services will be disconnected 10 business days after the date of the notice. The past due balance must be paid in full or a payment arrangement in place the day before the disconnection date to avoid service shut off.
- Disconnection: If service is disconnected for nonpayment, all past due amounts and late penalties must be paid in full, along with a new deposit and a processing fee. Accounts disconnected for nonpayment are not eligible for payment arrangements. All payments must be made in guaranteed funds—cash, credit or debit card, or money order.
How to avoid disconnection for nonpayment:
- Pay balance by the due date shown on the bill. If you do not receive a bill, please contact the Utility Billing department for a replacement at (707) 441-4267 or email Utility Billing.
- Sign up for automatic payments by debit or credit card, checking account, or ACH
- Create an account at www.EurekaCA.gov/WaterBilling to monitor your account online
- Keep your billing address and phone numbers up to date
- If you are experiencing a hardship and cannot pay your bill by the due date, contact us right away to make payment arrangements. Payment arrangements can only be made before the date of service disconnection. Email Utility Billing to set up payment arrangements or call (707) 441-4267.
- Keep your arrangements; failed arrangements will be disconnected without further notice.
531 K Street
Eureka City Hall
Eureka, CA 95501
531 K Street
Attn: Utility Billing
Eureka, CA 95501-1143
Phone: 707-441-4267Emergency Phone: 707-441-4044
City Hall Hours
Monday through Friday (except holidays)
9am to 4pm
Finance Department Customer Service desk remains open during the lunch hour
Please call 707-441-4203 to report a water or sewer issue during business hours.
After-hours emergencies, please call Eureka Police and Fire Dispatch center at 707-441-4044