Herrick Avenue Overpass Mural RFP
On July 18th, the City Council will make the final selection. The mural will be painted during this year's Eureka Street Art Festival, between July 28th and August 5th, 2023.
Read more details about each proposal and the artist(s) behind them at this link.
Background: Mural on the Herrick Avenue Overpass
The City of Eureka, Caltrans, and the Eureka Street Art Festival are partnering on a gateway mural project at the Herrick Avenue overpass. The project will have two phases; the first is the painting of a mural on the overpass and adding native, drought-tolerant landscaping in the greenways next to it. The second phase will install gateway signage along the railing of the overpass. Phase one is fully funded and will be completed this fall. Phase two still needs to be funded and will be completed at a later date.
Phase one is fully financed, thanks to Caltrans and Clean California grant funding. The City of Eureka will install the landscaping and, in coordination with the Eureka Street Art Festival, administer the new mural on the Herrick Avenue overpass. The mural has been added to this year’s Eureka Street Art Festival, July 31st - August 5th, 2023. While a part of the festival, this project is going through a separate selection process to find an artist and mural proposal for Eureka’s southern gateway. The Request for Proposals is now closed, and all proposals were due by 5:00 PM, Friday, June 23, 2023.
We received 35 qualifying proposals representing a wide variety of artistic styles and subject matter. These proposal submissions were initially reviewed by a 15-person committee which included representatives from the local business and arts community as well as representatives from both City and the County government. This committee narrowed the initial 35 submissions down to the top three selections that they believed best met the project goals as defined in the RFP. The community was then invited to participate in a public poll to weigh in on their favorite of the three selections. Voting closed on July 7th at noon.
Eureka's Art & Culture Commission held a Special Meeting on July 11th at 12:30 pm and formally recommended Carl Avery Studio's Elements of the Lost Coast to City Council for final approval. See poll results and staff report here Version OptionsHerrick Avenue Overpass Mural RFPHeadline Next Steps: Next Steps: Next Steps:.
- June 7, 2023 - RFP released
- June 23, 2023 - Proposal submission deadline
- June 26-30, 2023 - Selection committee review, meeting, and ranking
- June 30-July 6, 2023 - Public input on the top three proposals
- July 11, 2023 - Art & Culture Commission Special Meeting
- July 18, 2023 - City Council review meeting
- July 19, 2023 - Contract awarded
- July 28-August 6, 2023 - Mural to be painted
Request for Proposals documents
- Addendum to RFP - Q&A
- Request for Proposals with all attachments (PDF) (12,00 KB)
- Request for Proposals -no attachments (PDF)
- Attachments 1 & 2 - Mural Rendering Template & Herrick Avenue Overpass Site Information (PDF)
- Attachment 3 - Caltrans Copyright License and Waiver of Moral Rights in Artwork Agreement (PDF)
- Attachment 4 - COE 2020 Brand Guideline Book (PDF)
- Press Release - Herrick Ave. Overpass RFP