Worker's Compensation

If you are injured or become ill, either physically or mentally, because of your job, including injuries resulting from a workplace crime, you may be entitled to workers' compensation benefits. You may be eligible for some or all of the benefits listed depending on the nature of your claim. If required you will be notified by the claims administrator, who is responsible for handling your claim, about your eligibility for benefits. You may obtain all necessary claim forms at the Workers' Compensation website, as well as instructions on how to submit a claim. Your supervisor will also be able to provide you with these forms, and they are available at City Hall in the Human Resources Department. Be sure to complete the Workers' Compensation Claim Form (PDF) and submit it to your supervisor or Human Resources in order to initiate a claim.

To File a Claim

Complete the Employee section of the form, keep one copy and give the rest to your employer. Your employer will then complete the Employer section, give you a dated copy, keep one copy and send one to the claims administrator. Benefits can't start until the claims administrator knows of the injury, so complete the form as soon as possible.

Medical Care

Your claims administrator will pay all reasonable and necessary medical care for your work injury or illness. Medical benefits may include treatment by a doctor, hospital services, physical therapy, lab tests, x-rays, and medicines. Your claims administrator will pay the costs directly so you should never see a bill. There is a limit on some medical services.

The Primary Treating Physician (PTP) is the doctor with the overall responsibility for the treatment of your injury or illness. Generally, your employer selects the PTP you will see for the first 30 days, however, in specified conditions, you may be treated by your predesignated doctor or medical group. If a doctor says you still need treatment after 30 days, you may be able to switch to the doctor of your choice. Different rules apply if your employer is using a Health Care Organization (HCO) or a Medical Provider Network (MPN). An MPN is a selected network of health care providers to provide treatment to workers injured on the job. You should receive information from your employer if you are covered by an HCO or an MPN. Contact your employer for more information. If your employer has not put up a poster describing your rights to workers' compensation, you may choose your own doctor immediately.

Within one working day after you file a claim form, your employer shall authorize the provision of all treatment, consistent with the applicable treating guidelines, for the alleged injury and shall continue to be liable for up to $10,000 in treatment until the claim is accepted or rejected.

Disclosure of Medical Records

After you make a claim for workers' compensation benefits, your medical records will not have the same level of privacy that you usually expect. If you don't agree to voluntarily release medical records, a workers' compensation judge may decide what records will be released. If you request privacy, the judge may seal (keep private) certain medical records.

Payment for Temporary Disability (Lost Wages)

If you can't work while you are recovering from a job injury or illness, for most injuries you will receive temporary disability payments for a limited period of time. These payments may change or stop when your doctor says you are able to return to work. These benefits are tax-free. Temporary disability payments are two-thirds of your average weekly pay, within minimums and maximums set by state law. Payments are not made for the first three days you are off the job unless you are hospitalized overnight or cannot work for more than 14 days.

Return to Work

To help you to return to work as soon as possible, you should actively communicate with your treating doctor, claims administrator, and employer about the kinds of work you can do while recovering. They may coordinate efforts to return you to modified duty or other work that is medically appropriate. This modified or other duty may be temporary or may be extended depending on the nature of your injury or illness.

Payment for Permanent Disability

If a doctor says your injury or illness results in a permanent disability, you may receive additional payments. The amount will depend on the type of injury, your age, occupation, and date of injury.

Supplemental Job Displacement Benefit (SJDB)

If you were injured after January 1, 2004, and you have a permanent disability that prevents you from returning to work within 60 days after your temporary disability ends, and your employer does not offer modified or alternative work, you may qualify for a nontransferable voucher payable to a school for retraining and/or skill enhancement. If you qualify, the claims administrator will pay the costs up to the maximum set by state law based on your percentage of permanent disability.

Death Benefits

If the injury or illness causes death, payments may be made to relatives or household members who were financially dependent on the deceased worker.

It is illegal for your employer to punish or fire you for having a job injury or illness, for filing a claim, or for testifying in another person's workers' compensation case (Labor Code 132a). If proven, you may receive lost wages, job reinstatement, increased benefits, and costs and expenses up to limits set by the state.

You have the right to disagree with decisions affecting your claim. If you have a disagreement, contact your claims administrator first to see if you can resolve it. If you are not receiving benefits, you may be able to get State Disability Insurance (SDI) benefits. Call State Employment Development Department at 800-480-3287.

You can obtain free information from an information and assistance officer of the State Division of Workers' Compensation (DWC), or you can hear recorded information and a list of local offices by calling 800-736-7401. You may also go to the DWC website.

You can consult with an attorney. Most attorneys offer one free consultation. If you decide to hire an attorney, his or her fee will be taken out of some of your benefits. For names of workers' compensation attorneys, call the State Bar of California at 415-538-2120 or go to their website.